Forums Ad Forum

JCPenney - American Living - Anthem

JCPenney - American Living - Anthem (2008) 24 Feb, 2008 02:01 AM
JCPenney - American Living - Anthem Summary: The launch of the American Living collection from JCPenney and Polo Ralph Lauren's Global Brand Concepts.

Song: Killing The Blues by Robert Plant by Alison Krauss

Buy song from iTunes

archive
[Mark] word and lyrics by the great John Prine

archive
[anonymous] actually words and lyrics by rolly salley form woodstock.

archive
[anonymous] It is spelled Roly Salley. He plays base guitar with Chris Isaak. The song is on an album called Woodstock Mountain: Music from Mud Acres.

archive
[amber] WHY IS THE GIRL STEPPING ON HER BIRTHDAY CAKE?

archive
[jan] Why is the girl stepping on the cake? Could you not have used the rain boots in a rainy day scene or rain boots stepping in a puddle? But to ruin a cake at a party???? I don't get it?????

archive
[Mackedelic] This beautiful world tends to look even a bit more so with a little Robert Plant sprinkled through and through.

archive
[2_Stand] I had seen reference to the Plant/Krauss twine for awhile now. Compelling. Watching this commercial on my oscars DVR made me rewind a few times. Watched Sarah Connor tonight on the DVR, same story, but I got around to googling tonight. Listened through on youTube. Read lyrics. Watched ad again. Wow. Nice to see like minds feel same.

archive
[thelisarosa] amber & jan,
I am totally with you. I want to know what the stepping on the cake is all about! They make it look like some American tradition or something. Never heard of that one.

archive
[I hate this company] that bitch stepping on a cake has nothing to do with America.... plus its a white family with a black women in the background it makes no sense.

archive
[anonymous] If it were me, when I was young, stepping into a birthday cake my all-American mom had made to celebrate my birth with our family, you'd be seeing the all-American spanking come forth in a hurry. What's wrong with the marketing departments and where did they all grow up? Oh wait, I guess they were the ones whose parents didn't 'curb their creativity' and allowed such nonsense.

archive
[do not go gentle into that good night] to me, stepping on the cake is representative of our desire not to grow old, and here in America we definately fight growing old as much as we can, ie. cosmictic surgery, lypo, fad diets, etc....Probably not only an 'American' plight, just my 2cents

archive
[J.J.] The litle girl stepping on the cake with her galoshes, while being encouraged by the grownups is both disturbing and maddening. It seems to glorify being wasteful, arrogant, disrespectful,and selfish. It is ironic that the ad is promoting something about American classics because this awful ad is symptomatic of exactly what is wrong in America today. Moral relativism is ruining our nation. The little girl is actually being applauded for the ugly act. No regard for the person who worked hard to make or buy the cake. Just when crummy cellar dweller JC Penney tries to emerge from their forty year slumber, they let a jerky ad agency insert a scene that is sure to alienate the very "classic American" that they are trying to attract. The executives at Penney's who signed off on that ad should be fired immediately. The "Cake Vandal" ad is a loser, just like JC Penney's. Maybe for a follow-up effort they could have some beautiful people burning an American flag, or possibly defacing the Statue of Liberty, or maybe flipping the bird to a Boy Scout as he assists an elderly lady at a crosswalk.

archive
[MJB] I heard the song a very long time ago on public radio during a road trip. Searched but never found it or heard it until yesterday. Was very surprised when I caught 3 seconds of it while channel surfing. It's beautiful song. Thanks JCPenny for using this song, and thank you folks for the detail information.

archive
[Love this song !!] The harmony in this song is nothing short of haunting. I thank you JC Penny for bringing this song to my attention as I've never heard it until you associated it with your commercial. It took me a while to find out who sang this and bought the CD today. Out of 14 songs there were only three I skipped. I love the ballads, but the faster ones I took a pass on. Must be an aging thing ! And please folks....get over the cake thing. Big deal.....I think it was funny !

archive
[take a chill pill] seriously how can you go from stepping on a cake to burning the American flag....it is just a commercial. someone needs to stop living such a hateful bitter life if a commercial for a store can make them think about that stuff

archive
[larry] I think sitting on the birthday cake would have been better

archive
[Norma] What is up with this birthday cake thing? Good God people, get over it! It's juat a commercial and I think a Damn good one! Using Plant & Kraus is delightful & ingenious!!

archive
[Slvrshockr Wilm., N.C.] Plant 7 kraus together far outweigh the birthday cake segment even though I, too, fail to see how it aids the ad execs in this one. Best move: the cut from "Killing the Blues". Need a better edditing team, apparently!!

archive
[It is just a commercial, but let it make you think] How do you know the girl wasn't allowed to step on the cake just this one time and she was told that was the rule?? If it DOES happen to be some tradition that people do, then that would probably be the case. I think it was cute if and only if it were a one time parental allowed event. That little girl was really cute with her curly blonde hair. Although I do agree that moral relativism has overtaken our society and is unliveable as a worldview. You can't say that something is right for you but not right for someone else. It makes NO SENSE. If that's the case I'm going to come into your house and steal your tv and you can't tell me I'm wrong. In eras past societies believed the opposite of ours - why just go along with what everyone is saying?? Use your God given brain and think about how this worldview really does NOT work and change. Why do you think suicide rates, anorexia, drug use, crime, etc etc etc is climbing and climbing?? There is absolutely NO foundation left in america, no foundation of family, no foundation of morals, though we all know deep down that morals and right and wrong exist. We're just too afraid to admit it to anyone else. Everyone is uneasy and feels floating and lost. America's foundation was once strong. Let's not be afraid to admit right and wrong exist! And do right while you're at it. thank you.

archive
[What a great example. . .] . . .of exactly what is going on in America! Read all these comments and then put it together, if you use something beautiful (the song) to attract the part of the psyche you're trying to appeal to, then you can throw in any kind of behavior (i.e. stepping on a birthday cake) and people will not only accept it but they'll defend it too. Probably no American flag in danger of being burnt, but perhaps the next edition will show the same litle girl opening presents and throwing a beautiful JC Penney dress into the fire that was built for roasting hot dogs! It's not the cake folks, it's the behavior that it displays and the total lack of respect for anyone besides yourself that is being taught by the parents. Of course if your parents never taught YOU. . .

archive
[anonymous] I love this Commercial! It makes me proud to live in America. It totally captures the image of American living and presents it beautifully.

archive
[anonymous] I think this ad would have been pretty great but for the cake-stepping bit. The rest of the imagery is nice and works really well. The song is great. But that stupid girl stepping on that cake just ruins it for me. They took an otherwise well themed ad and blew it by throwing in that bit, which conveys the exact opposite message that was intended. I concur with whoever said that that part of the ad makes Americans look selfish and wasteful - willing to indulge their silly little whims with total disregard for the consequences.

archive
[katrina] I learned from Penney that the little girl stepping on the cake was merely creative license by the director of the shoot - they said to just have fun with it.

archive
[jcp] well i work at jcp, and i was wondering the same thing about the stepping on the cake. some of the adults look they they are cheering the girl on, but the little girl in front, looks kind of ticked off. i tried looking this up, to see if it were a tradition, and i found that somewhere along the Cape, that girls are encouraged to step on the cake in brand new "wellies" which i am assuming are galloshes.. brand new, so they can eat the cake afterwards, so its not wasteful. i dont think that i would want to eat anything that someone has stepped in.. the commercial with the kids running in the woods bothers me too, probably because i know the price of the bed linens they are all throwing in the dirt and leaves...

archive
[ooooh lord!] I just laughed my ass off reading all of these comments! Thank you!

archive
[nwgadgetguy] Re: Stepping on the cake.
Remember the Spongemonkeys?
Some things should be thought out better before being thrust on the public.

archive
[Roxana] Robert Plant isn't American. It's Spongmonkeys, not Spongemonkeys and they are ugly. and it is entirely ridiculous to say that stepping on your birthday cake is an American tradition. I've never seen it done. Ever. Who would want to eat it after that? So far, has anyone here actually contacted JCPenney and asked them why the girl is stepping on the cake, or just sat around complaining about it? (Told it's the rule?? What is that? lol)

archive
[Mike] The ad caused many to try to interpret the meaning of the act. Mostly everyone I asked saw it as being simply idiotic. Also, when asked if they remembered the advertiser, most didn't know! Maybe that's a good thing for JCP. They waste money every-time they run it and lose even more by the lack of shoppers thinking of it when choosing where to shop.

archive
[Oh Please] Come on Mike. Do you actually think people would stop shopping at Penny's just because while parking their car they happen to remember this is the company that had a commercial with a kid stepping on a birthday cake ? Yeah, I can see it now.......group of shoppers just about to enter JC Penney's and at the last second remembering that darn kid stepping on that poor cake !! They would then obviously return to their cars and go to Sears or Kohl's. It was one of the best commercials of late and the song is just beautiful ! So stop making such a big deal about the stupid cake !! There are much more serious things to worry about in this messed up world !

archive
[wendyO.] I think its really clever....and i love the songs....you people have too much to
time on your hands. Great commercial, great idea.... Hats off to you JCP for trying to make a come back!!
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy |
Feedback
|
Submit Info